Ακούστε ζωντανά τις ακολουθίες εδώ. Listen to the services live, here.

Πέμπτη 5 Απριλίου 2012

Ruth's story


We are created according to the image of God but because of sin we put on ourselves the image of someone else, who does things in order to get the applause of ‘people’.
Finding God it is an easy task in itself for the Lord is always with us, but it is difficult because we are not always with Him. Therefore, searching God it means: making efforts as much as we can to humbly welcome God within our heart.
And what does the Lord Himself shows to us with His example?
“Verily I say unto you, In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
Here there is a story that witnesses it:

 Ruth went to her mailbox and there was only one letter. She picked it up
 and looked at it before opening, but then she looked at the envelope
again.
 There was no stamp, no postmark, only her name and address. She read the
 letter:

 Dear Ruth:
 I'm going to be in your neighborhood Saturday afternoon and I would like
to visit.
 Love Always, Jesus
 Her hands were shaking as she placed the letter on the table.
 "Why would the Lord want to visit me? I'm nobody special. I don't have
 anything to offer."
 With that thought, Ruth remembered her empty kitchen cabinets.
 "Oh my goodness, I really don't have anything to offer. I'll have to run
 down to the store and buy something for dinner."
 She reached for her purse and counted out it's  contents. Five dollars and
 forty cents.
 "Well, I can get some bread and cold cuts, at least."
 She threw on her coat and hurried out the door. A loaf of French bread, a
 half-pound of sliced turkey, and a carton of milk...leaving Ruth with
grand total of twelve cents to last her until Monday.  Nonetheless, she felt
good as she headed home, her meager offerings tucked under her arm.
 "Hey lady, can you help us, lady?"
 Ruth had been so absorbed in her dinner plans, she hadn't even noticed two
 figures huddled in the alleyway. A man and a woman, both of them dressed
in little more than rags.
 "Look lady, I ain't got a job, ya know, and my wife and I have been living
 out here on the street, and, well, now it's getting cold and we're getting
 kinda hungry and, well, if you could help us, lady, we'd really appreciate
 it."
 Ruth looked at them both. They were dirty, they smelled bad and
 frankly, she was certain that they could get some kind of work if they
 really wanted to.
 "Sir, I'd like to help you, but I'm a poor woman myself. All I have is a
few cold cuts and some bread, and I'm having an important guest for dinner
 tonight and I was planning on serving that to Him."
 "Yeah, well, okay lady, I understand. Thanks anyway."
 The man put his arm around the woman's shoulders, turned and he headed
back into the alley.
 As she watched them leave, Ruth felt a familiar twinge in her heart.
 "Sir, wait!"
 The couple stopped and turned as she ran down the alley after them.
 "Look, why don't you take this food. I'll figure out something else to
serve my guest."
 She handed the man her grocery  bag.
 "Thank you lady. Thank you very much!" "Yes, thank you!"
 It was the man's wife, and Ruth could see now that she was shivering.
 "You know, I've got another coat at home. Here, why don't you take
 this one."
 Ruth unbuttoned her jacket and slipped it over the woman's shoulders.
 Then smiling, she turned and walked back to the street... without her
 coat and with nothing to serve her guest.
 "Thank you lady! Thank you very much!"
 Ruth was chilled by the time she reached her front door, and worried too.
 The Lord was coming to visit and she didn't have anything to offer Him.
She fumbled through her purse for the door key.
 But as she did, she noticed another envelope in her mailbox.
 "That's odd. The mailman doesn't usually come twice in one day."
 She took the envelope out of the box and opened it.
 Dear Ruth:
 It was so good to see you again. Thank you for the lovely meal. And thank
 you, too, for the beautiful coat.
 Love Always, Jesus
 The air was still cold, but even without her coat, Ruth no longer noticed.


Out of this example one can comprehend that it is our duty as Christians that when seeing Christ in the others we also should show Him to them, the Light of Light, True God of True God and the Lord of everyone’s salvation.
From the ringing of the bells to the voices of the chanters, from the reading of the Gospel to the Mystical Supper passes the message of love, forgiveness and hope that we “were dead and we alive again; and were lost and are found” from our Allmercifull Lord and God, the Life of our life and the Light to our darkness.





There was a time when I did not know the existence of God but a (I will call it) brother pulled me out of my own darkness and through his experience introduced me the Light of Light, True God of True God, the Lord of my salvation.
And it did happen that: I “was dead I am alive again; and was lost and am found.”

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου